To install Grandpa’s Custom Skins for the SD/HD models copy the vehicles folder from the archive (zip) file to the res_mods/x.x.x/ folder, where x.x.x is the current game version. For skins and mods copy the vehicles and script directory.
For those installing the SD files old manual way, here is the process:
- For this process I will be using the Tetrarch custom skin. So select you downloaded zip file. Tetrarch.zip (Image 1)
- Then select your World_of_Tanks/res_mods/0.x.x/ folder (where 0.x.x is the current game version) (Image 2)
- Then move the vehicles directory from the Tetrarch.zip file into the 0.x.x directory. Answer YES to the copy and replace when prompted by Windows. (Image 3)
To Change Skins After Installation
There are two methods for changing skins:
For the HD models, I have included separate tank directories for each skin, I’ll use the M18 Hellcat as an example.
- inside the res_mods/x.x.x/vehicle/american directory you will find multiple directories for the M18 Hellcat.
- The A41_M18_Hellcat is the ‘default’ directory and that skin will be displayed in game. If you want another to be displayed instead, rename the A41_M18_Hellcat deault directory to A41_M18_Hellcat_def
- Then rename the directory of your choice, for example A41_M18_Hellcat_gp to A41_M18_Hellcat the re-enter the game, teh gp (general purpose) skin will now show.
If using the old SD skins then follow these steps:
- Find the tank directory. It’s located at World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.x.x\vehicles\<nation>\<tank> in this case World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.x.4\vehicles\russian\R84_Tetrarch_LL (Image 4)
- Locate the default skin file. <tank_name>.dds (<tank_name_AM.dds for HD models) and rename it to <tank_name>_(AM)_bu.dds. Here we are using the Tetrarch, so the default tank skin is the Tetrarch_LL.dds. We rename that to Tetrarch_LL_bu.dds. This saves our default in case we need it later. (Image 5)
- Locate the skin you desire to change to. You can use the enclosed image file, or if none, the image file at Curse, to select your skin. In this example we want to change to teh desert skin, so we select Tetrarch_LL_desesrt.dds, right-click and select Copy. (Image 6)
- Then select a blank space inside the directory, right-click, select Paste, you will now have a “copy” of the desired file
- Right-click on the “copy” and select Rename (Image 7)
- Rename the “copy” to the default tank name, in this case, Tetrarch_LL.dds (Image 8)
- Now in game the Tetrarch will appear with the desert camo skin.
- NOTE: After version 0.9.0, default may be named with _AM added, for example Tetrarch.dds would become Tetrach_AM.dds. Rename files accordingly