February 2 2010

95th Infantry Division

image_pdfimage_print

95id_sm

“Victory Division”

The division insignia consists of a monogrammatic red “9” and a white Roman “V” on a blue background. The roman “V” signifies the division nickname, “Victory Division”, and the Arabic “9” and Roman “V” represent the division’s number. The red, white, and blue colors parallel the colors of the American flag.

Known as the “Iron Men of Metz”

On 15 July 1942, the division was ordered into active military service and reorganized at Camp Swift, Texas.  The 189th and 190th Infantry Brigades were disbanded as part of an army-wide elimination of infantry brigades. Instead, the division was based around three infantry regiments, the 377th Infantry Regiment, the 378th Infantry Regiment, and the 379th Infantry Regiment. Also assigned to the division were the 358th, 359th, 360th, and 920th Field Artillery Battalions, the 95th Signal Company, the 795th Ordnance Company, the 95th Quartermaster Company, the 95th Reconnaissance Troop, the 320th Engineer Battalion, the 320th Medical Battalion, and the 95th Counter-Intelligence Detachment. Major General Harry L. Twaddle took command of the division, a command he held for its entire duration in World War II, making him one of only eleven generals to do so.  The division also received a Shoulder Sleeve Insignia this year. Over the next two years, the division trained extensively in locations throughout the United States.

The 95th Infantry Division was assigned to XIII Corps of the Ninth United States Army, Twelfth United States Army Group. The division sailed for Europe on 10 August 1944. The 95th Infantry Division arrived in England on 17 August. After receiving additional training, it moved to France one month later on 15 September. During this time it was reassigned to III Corps. The division bivouacked near Norroy-le-Sec, from 1 to 14 October. It was then assigned to XX Corps of the Third United States Army. The division was sent into combat on 19 October in the Moselle bridgehead sector east of Moselle and South of Metz and patrolled the Seillenear Cheminot, capturing the forts surrounding Metz and repulsing enemy attempts to cross the river. It was during the defense of this town from repeated German attacks that the division received its nickname, “The Iron Men of Metz.” On 1 November, elements went over to the offensive, reducing an enemy pocket east of Maizières-lès-Metz. On the 8 November, these units crossed the Moselle River and advanced to Bertrange. Against heavy resistance, the 95th captured the forts surrounding Metz and captured the city by 22 November.

The division pushed toward the Saar on 25 November and entered Germany on the 28th. The 95th seized a Saar River bridge on 3 December and engaged in bitter house-to-house fighting for Saarlautern.  Suburbs of the city fell and, although the enemy resisted fiercely, the Saar bridgehead was firmly established by 19 December. While some units went to an assembly area, others held the area against strong German attacks. On 2 February 1945, the Division began moving to the Maastricht area in the Netherlands, and by 14 February, elements were in the line near Meerselo in relief of British units. During this time the division returned to the Ninth Army under XIX Corps, though saw temporary assignments to several other corps through the spring.

On 23 February, the division was relieved, and the 95th assembled near Jülich, Germany, on 1 March. It forced the enemy into a pocket near the Hitler Bridge at Uerdingen and cleared the pocket on 5 March, while elements advanced to the Rhine. From 12 March, the 95th established defenses in the vicinity of Neuss. Assembling east of the Rhine at Beckum on 3 April, it launched an attack across the Lippe River the next day and capturedHamm and Kamen on the 6th. After clearing the enemy pocket north of the Ruhr and the Möhne Rivers, for example: Werl and Unna, the division took Dortmund on 13 April and maintained positions on the north bank of the Ruhr. It held this position until the end of the war.

377th Infantry Regiment

377rgt

History of the Regiment

Constituted 5 September 1918 in the National Army as the 377th Infantry and assigned to the 95th Division. (Was to be organized in France from personnel of the 1st Pioneer Infantry but never accomplished.) Disbanded 22 December 1918. Reconstituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves and assigned to the 95th Division. Organized during November 1921 with Headquarters at Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Ordered into active military service, less personnel, and organized 15 July 1942 at Camp Swift, Texas. Inactivated 11 October 1945 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.

Campaign Streamers

World War II

  • Northern France
  • Rhineland
  • Ardennes-Alsace
  • Central Europe

Coat of Arms

Shield: Argent, on a less vert seven gouttes d’eau, four and three, between three gouttes d’olive in chief and seven in base, four and’three.

Crest: The shield is white for infantry, while the green fess indicates the original organization of the regiment in the oil belt of Oklahoma. The gouttes resemble drops of oil and the arrangement of the drops indicate the numerical designation of the unit. The motto is Cherokee Indian for “Onward.”

Motto: Ni ga da e sa sdi (Onward)

Distinctive Insignia

The insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms, The sample of the insignia was approved 11 October 1927.

95th ID STATISTICS

Chronology

  • Activated – 15 July 1942
  • Arrived ETO – 17 August 1944
  • Arrived Continent (D+105) – 19 September 1944
  • Entered Combat – First Elements -18 October 1944
  • Entered Combat – Entire Division – 20 October 1944
  • Days in Combat – 151

Casualties (Tentative)

  • Killed in Action – 1,128
  • Wounded in Action – 4,783
  • Missing in Action – 394
  • Captured – 65
  • Battle Casualties – 6,370
  • Non-Battle Casualties – 3,834
  • Total Casualties – 10,204
  • Percent of T/O Strength – 72.4

Campaigns

  • Northern France
  • Ardennes
  • Rhineland
  • Central Europe

Prisoners of War Taken 31,988

DETACHMENTS

(Attached to)

Infantry

377th Infantry Regiment 2d Armored Division 29 Mar 45-2 Apr 45

ASSIGNMENT AND ATTACHMENT TO HIGHER UNITS

DATE CORPS ARMY ARMY GROUP
Assigned Attached Assigned Attached
7 Jul 44 Ninth ETOUSA
27 Jul 44 XIII Ninth
28 Aug 44 XIII Ninth 12th
5 Sep 44 III Ninth 12th
10 Oct 44 XX Third 12th
29 Jan 45 VIII Third 12th
5 Feb 45 Ninth 12th Br 21st
13 Feb 45 Br VIII Ninth (Adm) Second Br (Opn) 12th Br 21st
22 Feb 45 XIX Ninth 12th Br 21st
26 Feb 45 XIII (Opn) Ninth 12th Br 21st
30 Mar 45 XIX Ninth 12th Br 21st
31 Mar 45 XXII (Opn) Fifteenth 12th
2 Apr 45 XIX Ninth 12th Br 21st
4 Apr 45 XIV Ninth 12th
9 Apr 45 XVI Ninth 12th

(-) Indicates relieved from assignment.

COMMAND POSTS

DATE TOWN REGION COUNTRY
17 Aug 44 Winchester Hampshire England
15 Sep 44 Mandeville Calvados France
13 Oct 44 Norroy-le-Sec Meurthe-et-Moselle France
20 Oct 44 Villers-sous-Preny Meurthe-et-Moselle France
1 Nov 44 Moyeuvre-Grande Moselle France
24 Nov 44 Borny Meurthe-et-Moselle France
28 Nov 44 Boulay Moselle France
28 Jan 45 Tavigny Luxembourg Belgium
5 Feb 45 Rocienge-sur-Geer Limbourg Belgium
15 Feb 45 Deurne Limburg Netherlands
22 Feb 45 Rocienge-sur-Geer Limbourg Belgium
2 Mar 45 Julich Rhineland Germany
3 Mar 45 Osterath Rhineland Germany
5 Mar 45 Krefeld Rhineland Germany
11 Mar 45 Ameln Rhineland Germany
2 Apr 45 Beckum Westphalia Germany
9 Apr 45 Soest Westphalia Germany
11 Apr 45 Werl Westphalia Germany
12 Apr 45 Kamen Westphalia Germany
19 Apr 45 Beckum Westphalia Germany
23 Apr 45 Erwitte Westphalia Germany
9 May 45 Ludinghausen Westphalia Germany

Battle Reports: 95th ID, XX Corp, Third Army, Lorraine Campaign

During the Ardennes Campaign (Battle of the Bulge) the 95th ID was transferred to control of the XIX Corp and the 21st British Army Group, later to the Ninth Army.

Historical Publications



Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted February 2, 2010 by Tom Martin in category "95th ID", "Military / War", "WWII

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*